Mar 27, 2013

Full Metal Snakeskin

Aaaaaancient scans of Cobra Commander's battle armor from the last few issues of Marvel's original G.I. Joe comic. To date, this design has never received a toyline counterpart, which is kind of striking considering how much the modern G.I. Joe toys take inspiration from the comics. I had attempted to remove the backgrounds from all three of the images, with varying degrees of success. I don't think I have the unaltered versions anymore...
 
Anyway. Using this armor and a specially-manufactured Ninja Disorienting Hallway installed in the Silent Castle, Cobra Commander was able to defeat and capture the then-heroic Storm Shadow. This led to Snake-Eyes mounting a rescue attempt for his sword brother - and surely he'd fall for CC's new tricks, too! However, Snake-Eyes (seen in the background of the third pic) was able to get through the special Ninja Disorienting Hallway by... CLOSING HIS EYES! Then he hit Cobra Commander with a flechette round, because he decided to rescue Storm Shadow in a commando-y way instead of a ninja-y way for some reason. I'm not sure why this ignited CC, but it's been a while since I've read the story. Maybe Snake-Eyes had a flamethrower, too?

Scans from G.I. Joe #150 and 151. Art by Phil Gosier and Crusher Wallace (#150) and Phil Gosier and Scott Koblish (#151).

No comments:

Post a Comment